Facebook Login + Like + Follow Button

Sunday, November 2, 2014

New technology at EverBank Field




Last weekend I had the pleasure of watching my favorite NFL team, the Miami Dolphins, play a struggling Jacksonville Jaguars team. And although I was sitting in literally the last row of the stadium, I didn't miss a moment of the action thanks to the newly installed 60 by 362 foot video boards behind both endzones. I was so intrigued by the giant monitors that I wanted to look deeper into some details regarding them. Each of these boards contain 35.5 million LED bulbs and display Ultra HD 8k video at a resolution of 7680 x 1080. The production servers powering these displays are capable of showing replays from 18 different camera feeds on a 21,700 square foot digital canvas.



While the display board was definitely impressive, I personally thought they could have better used the outer portions of the screen displaying graphical information. They only offered game stats of the home team, and seemed littered with social updates from people tweeting about their game experience. I also thought it was interesting that there were smaller video boards in the corners of the stadium showing other games around the NFL. It gave me the impression that the team on the field is not interesting enough to watch, which could entirely be the case. But overall I like that the NFL and the team's owners are trying to improve fan experience at the game. Another added technological amenity added at EverBank Field includes Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the stadium, so the fans can stay updated with their fantasy team and post to their social media pages. Check out this cool video about how these enormous jumbotrons were installed:




No comments:

Post a Comment